We arrived in Ukraine on time and without much incident! Our first night's sleep was amazing! Considering we had been up for 30 straight hours, I am not sure either one of us even turned over in our sleep. It is about 9:00 on Friday morning, and Aaron and I are eating breakfast before we meet our lawyer and leave for the orphanage.
Here are a few things I have learned in the 20 or so hours that I have spent in Ukraine:
1. People cut in line. It seems to be an accepted practice, and no one but Aaron and I even appear to notice.
2. You know the B.O. in the bathroom is bad when it, up until that point, it WAS the worst smell I have encountered in bathroom.
3. Lanes on the highway are merely a suggestion. (We were thankful that God has provided us with a driver that knows this and doesn't seem to be phased by it)
4. You can get lost really quick on your own in a country where you can't read the street signs.
5. Aaron stays pretty calm when getting lost in a foreign country.
6. 26 hours of no sleep and a fifth floor apartment can make you get on an elevator that is smaller and more precarious looking than normal circumstances would allow.
7. Sidewalks double as parking lots...watch out!
8. The Ukrainian military men look like extras from a Juan Claude Van Dam movie.
9. Just because someone charges you to use a public restroom does not mean they are selling something anyone would want to buy.
10. Don't judge too fast what the worst smell in a bathroom could be because apparently in Ukraine, they charge to let you smell the worst!
Well, we are off!
No comments:
Post a Comment