Sunday, May 13, 2012

Peace that Passes

This trip was about peace.  Aaron and I really wanted to know what we were supposed to do about Vlad, and we expected answers.  We figured one of two things would happen; either Vlad would completely change his mind, or he would continue to say "no".  We were prepared to accept either outcome.  We did not expect to see Vlad walk out of the doors of the orphanage and receive our answer before he said a word.  As soon as we saw his blue eyes, Aaron and I both fell in love.  We knew without a doubt that we were looking at our son. 
I hesitate to write about everything that happened in the 5 1/2 hours we spent with the boys at the orphanage.  From outside appearance, we didn't make much headway with Vlad.  However, in our hearts we know big changes happened.  The day started out without him really even wanting to be around us at all and stayed completely on the outside of all of the action.  He wouldn't take the gifts we bought him, turned his head every time I tried to take a picture, and basically did everything to shut us out.  By the end of the day, he was playing soccer with Aaron (silently, but we take small victories), he was sitting beside me and looking at pictures, and even posed for a picture (with his arms uncrossed!).  We came to receive peace, and that is exactly what we got.  Vlad may not be ready to accept it yet, but he will be an Alfred soon!
His brother is another story all together.  That boy is a ball of fun and energy!  Artyom is constantly ready for action and steals the show.  He has such an open and happy personality, but I can already see that he is going to keep my hands full! 
We left Ukraine with excitement and eagerness to bring these two precious brothers home.
Sorry about the delay, but internet in our hotel was unreliable at best!

 Vlad (in black) at the beginning of the day.  He turned his head as soon as the camera came out.
 Vlad at the end of the day!  You may not be able to see it, but that is, in fact, the beginning of a smile.
 Monkey in a tree!
He was eating ALL day!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you both.
    It is easy to say "no" to something you dont know about, but to see you, to touch you, and to know you, that is another story.
    I think you gave Vlad all the ammunition to make his decision he needs.
    My prayers are going out every day for him, that he makes the right, most comfortable decision for himself.
    I cant wait to meet Artyom. Between Artie, and Cal, You both need to get a second job. Aaron for the cash to fix broken things around the house, and Tara for the ability to get away from them just a minute.
    Love to all of you,
    D&B

    ReplyDelete