Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Decision Made

Monday morning brought crazy interesting news.  Not very many moments have gone by that were not consumed by thoughts of this eighth grade boy and what our role is in his life (or what his role is in our life).  Two verses have played on repeat in my mind trying their best to crowd out all of the other thoughts and fears.  The first verse has been special to our family for a few years and definitely helped lead us to the place we are in right now.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11
God knows the plans he has for us, and he knows the plans he has for Artyom and for Vlad.  We received word from Ukraine that these brothers can not be split up (we didn't feel good with this decision anyway).  So now we were faced with the decision of both or none.  Decision made.  In our hearts, Artyom already belongs to us.  There is no going back on that.  We have had two separate people say to us this week that sometimes God only gives us little bits of His plan at a time, so we aren't totally scared away.  God's plan for this adoption hasn't changed, but the amount of information that we have been allowed to see has. 
So, while I can't change the name of our blog, our mission has changed:  Making Artyom and Vlad Alfreds!
That leads me to the next verse that has kept me going forward.
"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous?  Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."   Joshua 1:9
An older child adoption seemed daunting enough when I was dealing with a 9-10 year old.  Adding a few more years just multiplies the fears and concerns that continue to swirl in my head.  I looked up "dismay" because I felt that put a nice word on my emotions.  "To destroy courage or resolution of by exciting dread or apprehension"...Exactly the opposite of what I have been commanded to do. 
We will continue on....strong and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment