Tuesday, October 2, 2012

At Last!

I really don't think that I am cut out for international travel.  I am totally wiped out.  I did sleep for 8 hours last night before I attempted to write anything, so that I could make sense of our travel story. 
As, I mentioned earlier, I was worried about our flight with American Airlines.  That was unfounded because everything went great.  When we boarded the plane, they announced that they were having some mechanical issues with the door, which I just knew meant we would be on the runway for at least 3 hours.  10 minutes later we were in the air on the way to Chicago.  That was the last easy flight. 
We arrived in Chicago with the news that our flight had been delayed to Warsaw, but they gave us food vouchers for the airport.  Waving free money in front of my face temporarily made me forget about the troubles that a delayed flight can cause.  We ate a gyro in the international terminal, which has a feeling of already being out of the country.  I have never known exactly how to say "gyro", but they have always been one of my favorites.  They usually have a picture on menus, so I just point and say, "I want that".  Bellies full with free food, we headed through security and went to sit at our gate where we spent the next 6 hours watching people pass back and forth in front of us.  It was at this point that I was ready to hop back on a plane and head back to DFW.  Luckily, I am married to the "unphasable" man.  At 9:15 we finally left Chicago and settled in for our overnight flight.  Now, Aaron can sleep through anything, but I on the other hand, could not manage to sleep with the large Polish man snoring loudly for 8 hours of our 9 hour flight.  I went over this many times through the night, and I came up with a couple of solutions.  Could the flight attendants not hear him?  Wouldn't it be the right thing to do to wake him up for the sake of all the other passengers on the plane (except for those rock sleepers like Aaron).  Surely, he knows he snores like a freight train, maybe he should drink coffee all night to stay awake.  I think that would be the right thing to do, but that's coming from a tired, cranky traveler and he got a full nights rest. 
Because our flight to Warsaw was delayed, we missed our flight to Kiev.  We ended up in a huddle of people trying to find out how get new flights.  It was a mess (fyi, even when English isn't your first language, people learn the words that get things done!), and we knew there was a flight leaving for Kiev in an hour. Unfortunaltly, people at the front were syaing they had been in line(line is a loose term cause it was not a line) for 3 hours.  Just in the knick of time, an employee asked for people flying to Kiev, and we pushed our way to the front and got our ticket to the boarding plane. 
Even amid the chaos, I had a peace and knew that God's timing would prevail.  We have a whole 24 hours in Kiev before our appointment date tomorrow (10:30 am Kiev time).  I'll let everyone know how it goes!
Looking over this, it may be long and boring.  My quick thinking, witty brain is still on Texas time.  It'll get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment